South Sudan’s Ministry of Health disclosed that the number of coronavirus cases in the country has risen to 655 after 92 people tested positive, the highest tally since the first case was reported in April.
The Undersecretary at the Ministry of Health, Dr. Makur Koryom, told reporters in Juba on Saturday that the new cases were confirmed positive after the public health laboratory tested 218 samples.
Dr Koryom noted that 60 of the new cases are contacts of the previously confirmed cases. “Of all the positive cases, 71 were males and females were 13,” Koryom said.
The Health Official further disclosed that the number of fatalities in the country has risen now reaching eight after two more fatalities were recorded.
So far no new recoveries were reported and cumulatively the tally remains at six.
The undersecretary has appealed to South Sudanese to follow the Ministry of Health guidelines to curb the spread of the virus.