South Sudan disclosed the first recorded death linked to the Coronavirus infection in the country on Thursday the 14th of May 2020.
Health authorities in South Sudan recorded 28 new infections of Coronavirus bringing the total confirmed cases of the respiratory disease to 231.
The High-Level Taskforce on COVID-19 stated that “the Public Health Laboratory on Thursday 14th May 2020 released 214 test results. Of these, 28 cases, 27 South Sudanese and one Kenyan, were confirmed positive including one death”.
Dr Makur Koriom, the Undersecretary at the Ministry of Health, said the deceased was a 51-year-old high profile South Sudanese personality without further details.
Furthermore, the Taskforce indicated that of the newly confirmed cases, two were contacts, five alerts, one suspect and 20 from Juba zones.
So far, Juba remains the epicentre of Coronavirus in the country. On Wednesday, the authorities said two cases have been confirmed in Protection of Civilians (PoC) sites in the capital despite the measures implemented by the UN Mission in the country.
Despite growing numbers of COVID-19 infections, the government decided to ease Coronavirus lockdown rules and to open the airports for domestic and international flights.